Thursday, March 1, 2012

Photosensitivity - Phototoxicity and Essential Oils


Yes, if you are using Pure Essential Oils topically that are or contain Citrus (Lemon, Wild Orange, Bergamot, etc.), then it is recommended that you do not have sun exposure (sun tanning, gardening, sports, swimming outdoors, tanning beds) for about 8-12 hours after you have applied the oil. Recommendations do vary from 4 hours to 12 hours or so. Really, we are not using these particular oils (citrus)often on our skin/topically, but if you do, please be safe.
Citrus Oils that can cause Photosensitivity or photo-toxicity (sunburn much quicker and sometimes significantly more harsh than simply having sun exposure alone without essential oils on your skin):
Lemon
Lime
Grapefruit
Wild Orange
Bergamot
Tangerine
There are a few other oils that can cause a similar effect that are not citrus oils which include:
Angelica
Cedarwood
Neroli
Ginger
Cinnamon
Clary Sage
Patchouli
If I have a lotion, for example that I made myself and I know there are only a few drops (diluted properly) in the entire batch, then I will not be worried about going out into the sun on a normal day with normal exposure (just going in/out of the house, running errands-15min here and there, etc.).  I would not apply it and go lay out by the pool for 4 hours, however.  I would avoid that kind of sun exposure if I applied any of these oils neat topically (without dilution) for 12 hours.  Again, the citrus oils are oils that I would rarely use topically anyway- it would more likely be one of the non-citrus oils that I need to be more thoughtful about.   I do, however use citrus oils in blends that contain other oils as well and many oils I wear as perfume contain citrus oils, so on those days I know I will be in the sun, I do not spray it on!
I for one, think we don't talk enough about safety when it comes to essential oils! This is one area I plan to share more about.  I have never had a issue in the 3 years I've been using essential oils, however, I have personally know a few people who have and it's not a pleasant experience.  

2 comments:

  1. Are phototoxic/sensitive essential oils okay to use in you hair if you will be in the sun? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry, but you're giving out false information. Tangerine, Cedarwood, Ginger, Cinnamon, Clare Sage & Patchouli are not phototoxic oils. Also distilled lemon & lime are not either. It's more like 12-24 hrs also.

    ReplyDelete