Monday, April 30, 2012

Bees and Essential Oils

This is a bumble bee (not a honey bee) 
Often people ask - Are bees attracted to essential oils? Should I be concerned when I'm outside and I've just put oils on?  Will they come swarming or think I'm a plant?
Well, here is a recent quote from a expert on the Honey Bee vs. Essential oil subject: Hans Johsens from Lone Star Apiaries:

I am a beekeeper.
Bees are not attracted to fragrances for the most part (although the smell of honey and other sweet smells will attract them) but many colognes, perfumes and chemical smells or fumes will get them agitated, and they might sting as a result. Since the oils are a natural plant extract I do not see them getting in a frenzy over them. They also will get in a stinging mood if one slaps or swats at them (so this is always to be avoided!). They are attracted to the shape and color of flowers, please note that attraction does not equate aggression. Flowers are a source of food for them, they are very docile when out foraging (one can catch them and hold them in cupped hands without fear of being stung when bees are out foraging). I have never had a problem with my bees (I have a dozen hives) and the oils. Just to illustrate this I just put some Lavender, Lemongrass, Geranium, Frankincense and Myrrh (just a dab of each one) on my arm and went out and sat in front of the entrance to one of my hives in the yard. The bees could not have cared less, not even one of them came to investigate me, let alone my arm where I applied the oils, in any way (though a few who were returning to the hive did bump into me because I wasn't there a few minutes earlier- this is normal). So I will say with some authority that the bees are not attracted to the oils. Even if they were attracted I see no reason why they would become aggressive and sting due to the oils, certainly not anywhere away from the colony. Bees sting when out foraging pretty much only if they are provoked in some way (such as stepping on them in a field of clover). They sting in the hive when you try to steal their honey. They also die after they have stung a person so they don't sting for no good reason. 
Hans

Thank you Hans for your comments/thoughts on this subject.  It is one that is asked frequently and it's nice to have someone with experience and expertise comment so we all don't have to be fearful of bumping into a hungry bee, we can rest easy!

4 comments:

  1. Um... I beg to differ. I used an so big repellant with purification blend and peppermint yesterday and did not have a problem with any bars. Today I added lavender (I was misinformed in adding it) and there a literally 5-7 bees flying around me and investigating. So... No lavender! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um... I beg to differ. I used an so big repellant with purification blend and peppermint yesterday and did not have a problem with any bars. Today I added lavender (I was misinformed in adding it) and there a literally 5-7 bees flying around me and investigating. So... No lavender! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agree. Anytime I use my lime oil or orange oils, they come swarming at my windowsills.

    ReplyDelete